Saturday, October 25, 2008

How Can I Keep from Singing


If I am devoted to the cause of humanity only, I will soon be exhausted... but if I love Jesus personally and passionately, I can serve humanity though men treat me as a door-mat. The secret of a disciple's life is devotion to Jesus Christ.- Oswald Chambers

I am still struggling to find the words to express my journey towards redemption this day, but here are some words from someone who is shedding light upon the steps I take. She gets it!

"The Bible's words about the poor aren't my to-do list, another burden on my shoulders. God wants to transform me into a new person. He wants me to find rest in Christ's love. And when my motivation for all things is Christ's love, loving the poor will become an organic shoot growing out of my heart....

... Dietrich Bonhoeffer's words always give me the shivers: 'When Christ calls a man he bids him come and die.' I know Christ has asked me to give up my very life to serve him. That could mean any number of things. It might mean I die in the cause of speaking out for the oppressed (as Dietich Bonhoeffer died speaking out against the wrongs of Nazi Germany). It could mean I give up some comforts in order to help others. It might mean I have to make some difficult business decisions. It might mean I give my time to a widow in my neighborhood. I don't know what Christ will ask me to do. But it might not be easy.

That's why Christ's promis is so sweet: When I'm weary from serving, he will give me rest. I'm simply his servant, carrying out the good deeds he has for me. He isn't asking me to carry the burden of the whold world or fix the whole world or be in charge of making sure everything turns out just right. He carries that burden. he asks me simply to love him and love others and act accordingly.

Something happens when a creation does just what it was created to do- it sings. It finds joy and purpose and fulfillment. Far from being a burden in life, I suspect fulfilling my purpose in love and serving the poor around me will make me more truly alive. It will nourish me and bring me joy. God is transforming me into his masterpiece- created for the good works he has placed all around me."
- Amer Van Schooneveld

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you... and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.- Matthew 11:28-30

No comments: