Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Back Online

Hello Friends!

Wow, so much has happened since I last wrote. So much! I do not have much time on the computer, because I am meeting with Abramz (director of the Break dance Uganda Project) to learn more about the project, his vision, needs and ways, if any, that I can support him. This is the first morning that I scheduled for myself since being in Uganda. I hired the special driver, made the contacts, decided on the places and everything on my own. How funny, as soon as I get comfortable venturing out on my own it is time to leave. C'est la vie.

Anyway, I will try to share brief notes from each day that I received with gratitude since I last wrote. Here goes...

Friday at 1 am, we got on a bus Kigali, Rwanda bound. It was quite an experience. There are a few complications that occurred due to me being the one who bought the tickets (LONG STORY), but everyone ended up having a seat and we made it to our final destination safely.

Crossing the border was an experience. When walking from Uganda into Rwanda my heart was so full. I could not believe that I was stepping onto Rwandan soil. Dream come true.

Rwanda is beautiful. The landscape is amazing and the country is so clean. So many beautiful hills and people. As we traveled on bus, it took about 12 hours to get there, I keep thinking, "If these trees could talk, what would they tell me?"

Kigali was a cool city. Once again, very clean and seemingly on the up & up. Nice stores, restaurants, streets, etc., but they also have atms that have never worked. HA! Lots of work still do when it comes to infrastructure.

I got to meet some really "rad" people and take my first moto ride. Since then I have ridden on the bodas here in Kampala, the one thing I said I would not do. HAHAHA!

The Genocide Memorial in Kigali made the trip worthwhile. So much to say about that, will have to write more later. Meaningful, enriching and heart breaking.

The ride back to Uganda was ROUGH! I was so tempted to say, "Stop, let me off and I will bite the cost of a taxi ride to Lake Bunyonyi." Once again there are some stories to be told, but not enough time today.

Lake Bunyonyi, Uganda is SPECTACULAR! Ciona, you are going to love it! A piece of PEACE and Bliss in the midst of all of the chaos that has been my life for so long. I prayed Taize songs crossing the Lake both times and am so thankful for that time.

Back in Kampala and happy to be here. I missed it. So much here yet to discover and so little time. Last night I did go to break dancing class and got to see my young friend Godfrey. He remembered me and our handshake. It was great to see his face light up when he saw me and I learned a 10 step move too. I think we must have a break dancing UMY one of these days. Thoughts you guys? :)

Alright, I have to go now. Love you all. Know that I am having a wonderful experience and being blessed more than I could have asked for. So much to take in and so much to share. God is good. All the time!

Peace of Christ,
lar

2 comments:

Ciona said...

Ummm . . . breakdance YMY? Scary . . .

Anonymous said...

Um...breakdancing at UMY? Sounds wicked SWEET!!!!