Wednesday, September 17, 2008

New Continent and Time Zone

I have arrived in Amsterdam via KLM. So hard to believe that I have already kissed Uganda "Good Bye" for now, and am writing from a computer in Amsterdam preparing for a plane journey that is US of A bound. Life is definitely crazy beautiful!

Sitting here next to the same computer I wrote my first Amsterdam blog from, it is blowing my mind that this journey is coming to an end. In so many ways it feels as though I was just here, and in so many other ways it feels as though I was here a month ago. The journey has been AMAZING! Maybe that is why my internal clock is a bit flustered.

My heart is very full though, and my bags. Yesterday I went to Acholi Quarters for a couple hours to tell my friends "bye." Of course George had Monica prepare a wonderful Ugandan meal for us (rice, beef, sweet potatoes, cabbage and soda). You cannot visit George without him welcoming you wholeheartedly into his home and feeding you the best he has. The first day at the quarters, he gave each of us about 5 sodas throughout our time there. Sugar RUSH!

Anyway, George made sure that my stomach was weighed down and the bead makers made sure my bags & heart was full. Esther came and presented me with a basket FULL of paperbead jewelery and a traditional African dress. Oh my goodness! I was speechless. I have traveled a number of places in this world, but I cannot recall leaving people I had know for such a short period of time with so many expressions of love. The ladies came by George's home to say farewell, children came to give me "5" for the last time, and everyone wanted to know when I would make my way back to them. My cup just kept bubbling over. I look forward to sharing with all of you the treasures we received yesterday. The gifted me with gifts and extended greetings to my "family" back in Nashville. They shared crafts made with love & beauty with their hands, gifts that could make them a nice profit, with me to share with others that you may glimpse the love & life of our neighbors in Uganda. I cannot wait to share with you.

After my time there I rushed to the house to shower and prepare for the long journey. Before heading to the airport, Robin & I met James, Kristen and Waverly at the youth center to say our farewells. I was also hoping to see Godfrey one last time (picture coming soon), but I had to depart before he arrived. I left a small treasure with him though and I hope he enjoyed the sweetness of it's taste. He is a jewel. I look forward to hearing about all God does with his life. One day...

The ride to Entebbe was nice. Ephraim and I shared many moments of silence as I tried to take in a few last memories of Uganda. The sun was setting along the way and Ephrain said, "You and the sun are saying bye to Uganda together. We will miss you so." In my heart I thought and I wish I had said it to him, "Yes, but like the sun I will say morning to Uganda again."

Eprhaim is the best special hire around. If you make a trip to Uganda and need a driver, let me know so I can hook you up. He called me at 9:54 pm, just to hear my voice on last time and send greetings to all of you. He said, "I called because I know in 30 minutes I will not be able to hear your voice again. I wanted to hear your voice one more time. Please tell your family and everyone that Ephraim from Uganda, Africa sends greetings. Tell them."

I broke. Lost it like a little one. Honestly though, I left Uganda with more smiles than tears. I left with my heart & soul filled with memories & love that will give way to smiles, moments of joy and hope forever. Uganda is forever apart of me, God has written the people and the land permamently into this story God is writing in my life... I am becoming a new creation.

There is more that has yet to be written. There are people and landscapes of Nashville I have yet to discover. So many stories and glimpses of hope are around us all of the time, we just need to stop, pay attention and remember. Hope you take time today to glimpse the divine creations all around you and allow your story to merge with the story of someone else in a way that encourages, uplifts, inspires and moves you ever closer to the new creation God is daily shaping you to be.

Life is beautiful... crazy beautiful!
love and peace,
lar

2 comments:

Ciona said...

LOVE!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ah, stories...

How cute of Eprhaim!