Thursday, September 11, 2008

MLK, Jr.'s "A Time to Break the Silence" and Shane Claiborne's Irresistable Revolution

"When we live in the wreckage of an old industrial neighborhood that has lost over two hundred thousands jobs and now has seven hundred abandoned factories, we start to ask questions about the corporate global economy, especially when we see the same companies abuse other "neighbors" overseas. Dr. Martin Luther King put it like this:'We are called to play the Good Samaritan on life's roadside... but one day we must come to see that men and women will not be constantly beaten and robbed. True compassion is more than flining a coin to a beggar. It comes to see that a system that produces beggars needs to be repaved. We are called to be the Good Samaritan, but after you life so many people out of the ditch you start to ask, maybe the whole road to Jericho needs to be repaved.'"

Over the past 30 years of my life I have been priviledged with many opportunities to travel and experience being in relationship with my global neighbors. Each trip, what begins as privilege is transformed into a rich blessing for me and hopefully for those who welcome me into their lives, their stories.

Kampala has not been any different, only that the transformatoin began long before I stepped onto that NW flight. Many of my steps in this city give birth to the question, "Maybe the whole road to Jericho needs to be repaved?" Honestly, there is very little maybe that comes with the question. Life lived with my poor and rich neighbors confirm that atleast most of the road needs to be repaved, if not the whole thing.

The role of the Good Samaritan in Kampala is proving to be more difficult for me than back home where I am familiar with all of the implications of my choices. Here there is a different level of complexities and implications that I cannot even begin to comprehend only being here a week.

Huh... patience has never been my virtue.:) No doubt, this is one of the many ways God is refining me on this pilgrimage journey. Believe me there are a few more, but I do not want to totally expose myself on this blog. :) hahaha! Pray for me though and now that God is constanting re-creating me.

On another note... I went breakdancing last night and I will go to class again on Monday. YAY! I think I stumbled across another story that I hope to tell when I return. If you have a chance check out:
www.myspace.com/breakdanceprojectuganda or www.youtube.com/abramz

Hope to sit over coffee with him, Abramz, next week to learn more about the Breakdance Project Uganda and hopefully write an article or something back home. New thing for me. Sure Ciona can help me out with that a bit.

Speaking of Ciona, I miss her dearly today and my other friends in Nashville. There is something to be said about being known within a community and sharing all of life with them or atleast as much as you can. I am so thankful my community in Nashville, NYC, North Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and Cali have chosen to journey with me in prayer. I feel those prayers, cherish them.

Oh well, I must go now. I am off to Acholi Quarters with Robin and Kristen to spend time with the beadmakers and my young friends. YAY!

Love you all.
Peace of Christ.
lanecia

No comments: